Lebanese American University - LAU
It was officially inaugurated on July 16, 1992. According to a BUC Board decision, the institution became a university in October 1992. In 1994, the Board of Regents in New York approved BUCâ€™s request to change into the Lebanese American University (LAU), moved the Louaizeh branch in Zouk Mosbeh to the Byblos campus, renamed the Makassed branch in Sidon to Sidon campus, and provided the university with the authority to also confer the degrees of Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Science, and Master of Arts.
It refers to the American School for Girls (ASG), established in Beirut in 1835 by American Presbyterian missionaries. ASG inaugurated an important shift in education for women in Syria and the surrounding region.