Destin Home Buyer’s Guide – Guest Post
Destin is one of the most enticing cities on the Gulf Coast of Northwest Florida. The real estate market in Destin is quickly growing as more people discover the benefits of living in a coastal area. If you are thinking about purchasing a home in Destin, there are some factors to consider during your search. Because the market is competitive, it pays to do some research, so you can get the most out of your investment.
1. Determine how much you can afford. Get prequalified with a lender before you shop around. House prices in Destin vary depending on the neighborhood, and knowing your financial capabilities can save you precious time.
2. Decide if you want a permanent or vacation home, and choose a property that fits your needs. If you are buying a vacation house, consider the additional costs for property management specialists. If you plan to live in Destin year round, select an area that matches your lifestyle.
3. Choose a neighborhood that is within sufficient proximity to everything you need. Check the locations of schools, hospitals, restaurants and recreational areas. Factor in commute times as well, and compare these details to other areas.
4. Keep a log of the houses you view. Touring numerous homes can become confusing, so write down important details as you go along. Many Destin homes offer similar amenities, but you can narrow down your search by listing the pros and cons of various features.
5. Look for features that affect the future sale value of the home. In many areas, conveniences such as attached garages or pools can negatively impact the resale value of a home. An experienced real estate agent can help you determine which features affect resale values.
6. Estimate the cost of living in Destin. Extra costs to consider are utilities, water bills, trash bills, property taxes and homeowner’s insurance. Utility bills can fluctuate considerably between the hottest and coldest months. Calculating the approximate expenses will prevent any surprises once you are living in the home.
7. Check the insulation of the home. Generally, Destin houses run on electricity, and bills can rise rapidly if the home is not insulated adequately. Look for efficient air conditioning systems and weatherstripping as well.
8. Plan to stay in your new home for at least three years. The Destin real estate market is similar to other areas when it comes to resale value, and you will need enough time to acquire sufficient equity.
9. Research the different home buying programs in Destin. Compare the mortgage rates of various lenders. Choosing the right terms can make a notable difference in your monthly payment.
10. Consider purchasing your new home without applying a down payment to the mortgage. Real estate values appreciate in Destin, so making a down payment means spending unnecessary funds upfront. It is more beneficial to find a house in your price range that may increase in value over time.
The city of Destin offers home buyers an eclectic atmosphere. While some areas are quiet and peaceful, others are electric and full of life. The pristine beauty of the surrounding Emerald Coast beaches makes this vibrant city the ideal place for a vacation house or a permanent residence. Regardless of your personal preferences, you can find your dream home in Destin.